Re: FM + SGML question

At 10:52 AM 5/31/00 -0400, McGuire, Brenda A wrote:
>Good morning Framers,
>
>We have a large maintenance manual project coming up and I have some
>questions regarding file formats. We want to be sure we get started on the
>right foot with this project, because it's very large and on a very tight
>timeline.
>
>We'll be using FrameMaker + SGML and I need to know what type of graphic
>files work best. We will have graphics that will originate in AutoCAD. I see
>that FM + SGML accepts .DWG files. Is that the best way to import the
>graphics or should we take them into something else like Illustrator and use
>an .EPS in the FM file? We'll likely have drawings, exploded drawings, and
>line drawings.
>
>Also, we'll have to create flowcharts to import into the FM files. What
>flowchart software works best? Does Visio work or are there other packages
>that work better with FM?
Obviously, FM+SGML must have an import filter for the graphic type you're
using. But, if you're talking structured FM+SGML docs that must be
exported to SGML, there's more to it than that. If you are restricted in
which graphic formats are allowed in the SGML (.DWG may be excluded
for instance), you may have to change to some other graphic format.
FM+SGML does, of course, allow conversions from one format to another
on export to SGML. The available export formats for graphics are shown on
page 274 (in Chapter 15) of the FM+SGML Developer's Guide for V5.5.6.
If you decide to convert you .DWG files to some other format (e.g., CGM),
on export to SGML, you should test how successful those conversions are.
To make these conversions on export to SGML, read/write rules are provided
for that purpose.
| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646