Re: Webworks question

This can be handled not only by WWP but also by the Frame Save As HTML....
but by using conditional text.

Here, I assume that you are producing 2 versions -- pdf and HTML. I cannot
recommend using the forms in pdf becuase, for all practical purposes, these must
be generated in the Exchange (3.x terminology) /Acrobat (4.x terminology)
program. You can do them with pdfmarks but the syntax of form-related pdf markes
is extremely complex: you really don't want to know and they would be impossible
to maintain.

The principal is that you have to embed the html form commands in some
condition, which we'll call "html". In WWP, the html can either be as straight
out conditional text or as one of those special html markers.

I would recommend the former, simply because you need to have carriage returns
in your html and the html markers used by WWP (or any marker!) doesn't allow for
this. Use the "passthrough html" option in WWP to allow your html condition to
do just that.

Then, voila!, you get your HTML form fields appearing.

You can also use this technique to get dynamic data to appear in Frame derived
pages, but this is another topic, for which I don't have time right now.

Oh, I said you can do this in Frame Save As HTML -- yes, but you need perl or
whatever to post process the generated HTML. But I've found it works a treat,
and I have produced dynamic pages that come up with forms with the user's name,
phone number, etc., automatically appearing on the Frame generated HTML pages.
(Hint: Apache and PHP help.) You could conceivably do this with pdf (using
Apache, PHP with Thomas Merz's PDF library for PHP) but don't expect the process
to be at all easy and that your sanity would remain intact.

Hope this helps.

Ron Nelson wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I'm in the process of evaluating WebWorks to see if I can make it do all I
> want it to, and I'm stuck.  I know the learning curve is supposed to be
> pretty steep so I'm hoping someone on the list can help me.
>
> In my Frame document I have a section of questions at the beginning and end
> of each chapter.  Each question is followed by a small set of blank answer
> lines to be filled in by the student.  When converted to HTML, I'd like to
> automatically replace the Answer Lines (paragraph tag) with an answer box
> that will hyperlink to the answer which has been called out from the
> appendix.  I thought I'd be able to use hypertext markers in Frame that
> would carry over to HTML, but when the answer lines are replaced by the
> answer box - the hypertext link is of course lost as well.
>
> I hope this is clear - can anyone help me out here?
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> Ron Nelson
>
> Frame 5.5.6
> Windows NT 4 SP 5
> PIII
> WWP 2000

             _   _        Michael Richards
            ( \ / )       Email:  michaelr@ind.tansu.com.au
           __\ Y /,-')    Tel: +61 2 9206 3524
          (__     .-'     Locked Bag 6581 Sydney 1100
             |   (        Fax: +61 2 9281 1301
             [___]        Intelligent Network Platforms,
             |oo |        Telstra Corporation, Australia
           ,' \  |
          <___/  |
             |   |
             |   |     HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CHICKEN???