Re: More Printer/PDF/Font problems

Dmitri,

Acrobat Distiller 4.0x does NOT look for any protection mechanism
in any fonts other than Type 42 TrueType fonts.

OpenType fonts are not directly supported by Acrobat 4.0x. They must
be sent to Acrobat as either Type 1 or Type 42.

There is nothing in the Type 1 format that can normally be used to
prevent embedding of a Type 1 font. Conceivably, one could write
code in the font (since the font is actually a PostScript program)
that could "look" for the Distiller and force out a message, but
certainly no Adobe fonts do this nor are we aware of anyone else
trying this.

In a Windows NT environment, it could also be possible that what is
installed as a Type 1 font is converted by NT into a TrueType font
and reconverted back for output under certain bizarre circumstances.
However, it makes no sense that the embedding restriction bits would
be set by the OS ... haven't heard of that before.

         - Dov