Teach a framer to fish (Was: Disappointment at attitude)

Hi Charles -

Charles Dixon <chas@prismtechnologies.com> wrote:
> The point of this group is for its users to overcome problems as
> quickly as possible, not to force us to become research hounds
> trawling through faqs (see * below) just so we can conform to some
> bureaucrat's myopic vision of the universe. If there is a bit of
> repetition in the questions posted, so what?

To take an extreme (but not uncommon) example: it's faster for me
to spend five minutes mailing my question to framers than it is
to spend ten minutes searching the archives. But add up the minutes
it takes X thousand framers to read enough of my message to know
they're not interested, and for ten or twenty framers each to spend
four or forty minutes mailing an answer.

The point of this group is not for you or me to become anyone else's
research hound, but for us to help people once they've taken some
basic steps to help themselves.

> * I found the faqs difficult and time consuming to navigate and
> use, and gave up referring to them some time ago since I have
> better things to do. Perhaps they have improved since then.

Sure, the FAQ is virtually useless these days, but the *archives*
are invaluable. There's nothing a new framer can do in an hour
that will possibly benefit them more than learning how to search
the archive sites and adobe.com.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield