Re: framers-digest V1 #318

Dan Emory wrote:

> The analogy is closer to reality than you state, because most of those
> requests for help on recurrent topics are coming not from list newbies, but
> from people whose names I recognize as having been subscribed for months,
> and in some cases years.

Sure, but you have to assume some degree of evolution with the readership. I've been
willing post about XML since FrameMaker started to support it, but only very few list
members would bother to read these posts and I wouldn't expect anyone to have saved
them. As people find themselves in projects where XML knowledge is necessary, I expect
to be saying the same things again and again, even to experienced FrameMaker users.
I'm not particularly bothered by that - I have encountered it in other forums.

> But people who have been
> on the list long enough to have that context ought to realize that the
> professional and responsible thing to do is to begin saving posts which
> contain useful nuggets of information about issues they may have to confront
> in the future.

So... I should make contingency plans in case I buy a printer that requires a
different driver?

> For example, most postings from Dov Isaacs ought to be saved
> for reference by almost everybody. If everyone did that, it would
> substantially cut down the volume of postings on the number 1 list topic:
> PDF problems.

Another way to look at this is that you're asking several thousand (on the other list)
people to start functioning as their own personal librarians, storing away information
about topics like saving as PDF. What happens if the problem gets fixed with Frame?
Some substantial effort has been wasted by all, but more detrimental than that, unless
they were diligent librarians, users would then referring to outdated information. I
don't expect that this would result in a nett reduction of chaos.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au