(Update from JS) Re: Do I Want Linux?

Greetings,

Since my overly-wordy post this morning several people have replied
directly or posted corrections and commentary.  I thank them all.

I believe that I agree with 99% of what everybody has said, however,
Viktor Haag (single ">" below), has probably provided the most complete
analysis.

Thanks Viktor!  (Genuinely.)

I stand corrected on a wide number of issues.  My experience has been
almost entirely in the GNU-distribution arena, thus my incorrect
thinking about source code, etc., etc.  Also, I had a blond moment (I am
qualified to have them) regarding WordPerfect -- of course they have a
well established Linux presence.

In any case, it is terrific that Adobe has taken this step.

Jay

Viktor Haag wrote:

> Jay Smith writes:
>  > (Long: if you don't have any interest in Linux, delete this.)
>
> I'd like to make some responses to some points made by Jay.
>
>  > Linux is as much a religion as it is an operating system.  It
>  > is "free", but as with any major implementation, the real cost
>  > is in the support and training, etc.  The majority of the
>  > software that runs on it is free.  Literally THOUSANDS of
>  > people and many of the world's largest software companies are
>  > writing software for Linux and GIVING it away -- in the hope
>  > that you will buy other of their services or products.
>
> While this is strictly true, one should point out that it isn't
> "necessary". That is, while a huge portion of the Linux arena is
> built on the "open source" software model, there are a
> significant number of software companies providing versions of
> their commercial software to run on Linux.
>
> There is no imperative to provide your software free for Linux,
> or to provide your source code free for your Linux-based
> software.
>
>  > Bug fixes for Linux software are often made available within
>  > days, if not hours.  I have witnessed action on newsgroups
>  > whereby one person reports a problem in a particular package,
>  > the developer of that package actually PERSONALLY responds
>  > (don't go into shock!), and a few hours later posts the url of
>  > the site from which the new version can be downloaded free.
>
> This is also true, to a certain extent. However, there are
> downsides to the "bazaar" approach to development as well as
> upsides like this. Also, companies who stick to their commercial
> model, i.e. releasing versions of their software for Linux that
> you pay for, are much less likely to provide this kind of
> turnaround on bug fixes.
>
> It's much more likely that you'll get exactly the same kind of
> technical support response from them that you would have received
> if you had purchased their software to run on Win32, or
> Macintosh, or Solaris, or any of their other commercially
> supported platforms.
>
>  > When you load a Linux package, the name and email address of
>  > the primary is usually there.  You can contact that REAL
>  > PERSON, but of course they are not going to have time for
>  > newbie questions -- but they can usually point you to the
>  > necessary resources.  Furthermore, there are usually
>  > newsgroups that cover every possible linux package.
>
> Hmmm -- once again, true to a certain extent, but not always. The
> "newsgroups that cover every possible linux package" bit is
> overstated, frankly. There are a wide variety of newsgroups to
> cover the various areas of the linux arena, true -- but that's
> just as true for the Win32 and Mac world as well (although,
> admittedly, the usenet presence for linux related material is
> much more varied than for Win32 and Mac).
>
>  > Linux for the DESKTOP *can* be sophisticated.
>
> True. Also not very user friendly, exquisitely poorly documented,
> [...]

Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650