Re: CALS table model

At 06:36 AM 11/24/99 -0800, Darrin L Braddy wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can find a copy of a CALS table format for
FrameMaker (one that I don't have to translate from SGML to Frame - one
that's already in the Frame format)?
I don't know what you mean by a "CALS table format". In a complete FM+SGML
application, there are four components which affect CALS table formatting:

1. The EDD, which defines the CALS-compliant structure of such tables. The
EDD may also provide initial format rules (based on context or attribute
values) for selection of specific named table formats from a table catalog.

2. An FM+SGML template (into which the element definitions in the EDD have
been imported), and whose table catalog inculdes predefined table formats
(these table formats are the same as in unstructured FrameMaker documents).

3. The DTD, which must include the element and attribute declarations for
the CALS table model. These declarations are provided in an appendix of the
FM+SGML developer's Guide.

4. The Read/Write Rules, which must include the rules used during the
import/export of CALS tables from/to SGML. Typical read/write rules for this
purpose are provided in an appendix of the FM+SGML developer's Guide.

>From the foregoing, it should be apparent that there is no such thing as a
"CALS table format" that could be "copied" to implement all of the items
needed for a complete FM+SGML application.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646