Re: save as xml/ external x-refs?

It is a limitation of FM+SGML that you cannot, in an exported SGML document
instance, have cross-references to documents that are external to that
document instance. You must export the entire book, containing all the
referenced files, to a single SGML document instance. There is no way to
change this behavior using read/write rules, nor, do I believe it is
possible to develop an FDK client that will do the trick. Hopefully FM+SGML
V6.0 will remove this limitation when exporting to SGML.
At 07:57 PM 10/12/99 +0200, Tobias Hofmann wrote:
>hi all,
>
>(fm+sgml5.5.6, winntWS4.0)
>
>still rather new to r/w rules and the like, and very glad to be shown to
>some manuals/FAQs/whatever covering these topics, just in case i missed
>something.
>
>my problem is that i would like to save a file containing apparantly
>so-called external cross-references (to elements in another file) as xml.
>in this xml file i would hope to _not_ have only the text as defined in the
>x-ref-format, but all the x-ref-information i get when i save an internal
>x-ref - ids, locations and the like.
>
>meanwhile i am aware of the fact that frame, according to chapter 16 of the
>manuals, does not do what i want, since the behaviour described above is
>exactly as it should be by default. on the other hand the manuals are,
>well, rather vague when it comes down to the question if this could be done
>by some tricky read/write rules?
>
>i mean, it,s all in the mif-files, the x-refs work, but do i have to put
>all files into the same book and export that to get what i want?
>
>has someone ever tried this?
>is there a _good_ book for questions like these?
>should i refrain from abusing frame as an xml-thingy? :)
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646