Re: save as xml/ external x-refs?

Dan,
  Sure it's possible to write an FDK client to export external
cross-references the way you want them. However, you must design
what results you want. You cannot use ID/IDREF attributes. The value
of an IDREF attribute according to the SGML standard must be the same
as that of an ID attribute of some element in the same document.
If you cannot ensure that the cited element is in the same SGML
document, you must define another convention. Furthermore, a
FrameMaker+SGML cross-reference always cites a location in another
FrameMaker document. Can you be sure that other document will also
be converted to SGML? The answer to this question (which depends
on your environment) is important import to your design.
	--Lynne

At 01:31 PM 10/12/99 -0700, Dan Emory wrote:
>It is a limitation of FM+SGML that you cannot, in an exported SGML document
>instance, have cross-references to documents that are external to that
>document instance. You must export the entire book, containing all the
>referenced files, to a single SGML document instance. There is no way to
>change this behavior using read/write rules, nor, do I believe it is
>possible to develop an FDK client that will do the trick. Hopefully FM+SGML
>V6.0 will remove this limitation when exporting to SGML.
>At 07:57 PM 10/12/99 +0200, Tobias Hofmann wrote:
>>hi all,
>>
>>(fm+sgml5.5.6, winntWS4.0)
>>
>>still rather new to r/w rules and the like, and very glad to be shown to
>>some manuals/FAQs/whatever covering these topics, just in case i missed
>>something.
>>
>>my problem is that i would like to save a file containing apparantly
>>so-called external cross-references (to elements in another file) as xml.
>>in this xml file i would hope to _not_ have only the text as defined in the
>>x-ref-format, but all the x-ref-information i get when i save an internal
>>x-ref - ids, locations and the like.
>>
>>meanwhile i am aware of the fact that frame, according to chapter 16 of the
>>manuals, does not do what i want, since the behaviour described above is
>>exactly as it should be by default. on the other hand the manuals are,
>>well, rather vague when it comes down to the question if this could be done
>>by some tricky read/write rules?
>>
>>i mean, it,s all in the mif-files, the x-refs work, but do i have to put
>>all files into the same book and export that to get what i want?
>>
>>has someone ever tried this?
>>is there a _good_ book for questions like these?
>>should i refrain from abusing frame as an xml-thingy? :)
>     ====================
>     | Nullius in Verba |
>     ====================
>Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
>FrameMaker/FrameMaker+SGML Document Design & Database Publishing
>Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory@primenet.com
>10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646
>---Subscribe to the "Free Framers" list by sending a message to
>   majordomo@omsys.com with "subscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.

>** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   **

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
lprice@txstruct.com
http://www.txstruct.com