Multilingual (Greek) auto-numbering

Hey gang,

I'm currently working on a Greek template which uses Greek fonts (True
Type flavor of Arial Greek). There's a problem when trying to
auto-number capital lettered tags which appear in English as:

A. text text text
B. text text text
C. text text text
D. text text text

Auto-numbering these tags is usually done with the <A=1> and/or <A+>
building blocks in the numbering tab of the paragraph designer.

What happens if you want these characters to appear in another
language?

In Greek, these characters should appear as their respective Greek
counterparts. "A" and "B" look the same, but the "C" character is an
upside down "L" (gamma?) and the "D" character is a triangle (delta?).
Sorry, I'm not about to pretend expertise in the Greek alphabet.

If you look at the ANSI number assigned to each character, it looks
like this:

       English       Greek
A      065           0195
B      066           0196
C      067           0197

FrameMaker knows to use the 065 character when you use the <A=1>
building block.

Is there any way to get FrameMaker to start at the 0195 character so
that auto-numbering works automatically in a Greek font?

I've tried setting the value to <A=130> (did some simple subtraction),
but it seems that the lettered numbering flows in Frame go A-Z, AA-AZ,
BA-BZ, and so forth. For those who care, A=130 gave me DZ or something
like that.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this happen or should I start
drafting an enhancement request?

If you're familiar with alternative numbering solutions for a global
audience, I'd be happy to hear any suggestions. (No, we can't use
numerals like 1, 2, 3 because those are reserved for procedural steps.)
Do any localization experts out there have suggestions besides numbers
or letters? Are Roman numerals globally accepted?

Best regards,

Jason Aiken
Frame Templar