Summary of Options for Converting FM Files to Unix MAN Pages Format

Here is a summary of what I learned about converting FrameMaker documents to
the Unix MAN Page format:

Use a FrameMaker to ASCII Converter
-----------------------------------

Frank Stearns sells a "smart" FM-to-ASCII converter, FM2A.  I'm not sure
what additional programming is necessary to bring this material into man
page format, but I know it is possible to program the converter to output a
variety of ASCII formats. You can contact Frank directly and ask him.

http://home.pacifier.com/~franks/

Use a MIF to MAN Converter
--------------------------

It's not exactly what you want, but there *is* a program that converts MIF
files to "man" format:

http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/public/computing/document/formatting/FrameMaker-
goodies/Filters/

and look for "mif2man". It's a Unix file; there might be a Windows/Mac
version somewhere out there...

Of course this requires saving each FrameMaker file in the MIF format...

Convert FrameMaker to HTML, Then Use an HTML to MAN Converter

Couldn't you do Frame --> HTML --> Man?

There's almost certainly a Man2HTML filter out there somewhere, shouldn't be
all that much effort to turn it on its head.

Use Quadralay's WebWorks Publisher to Convert FrameMaker to MAN

Yes, WWP can convert FM source to man page format (TROFF/NROFF), but not by
default. You have to build your conversion from scratch using an empty
template. Instead of using HTML or RTF markup you use TROFF/NROFF. WWP is
simply a filter that allows you to map FM markup (MIF) to any other
procedural markup scheme.

Have Quadralay's Experts Create a Template

Quadralay's Support people offered:

   Just checked with the developers here concerning the
   template.  We do not have one specifically geared for
   Unix MAN pages creation.

   However, we can readily create one via a separate
   consulting project.  Our hourly rate is $150/hr and
   all we need is a sample output of how you want the
   MAN page to be formatted.

   If you are interested, just drop us a message here.
   We'll pass you to the proper associates.

   Support Services
   WebWorks Publisher: The Complete Online Publishing
   Solution for Technical Authors
   http://www.quadralay.com/             512.719.3399