PopUp Help Msgs in HTML Help and WinHelp

Last week I asked how to create PopUp messages from Frame files with WebWorks. A few people have asked me to post the answer I received. Amy Latto of LearnLinc kindly provided this.

At the text that you want to appear in your popup window:

Create a hypertext marker called newlink "keyword" (Use specify named destination to get the newlink command)

In the text for you want to be the link create a hypertext marker: gotolink "keyword" (use jump to named destination)

"keyword" is a unique name for each popup and is case sensitive. This should work across files in a book. As a precaution, specify the filename in the links even when it's the same file.

You will need to apply a character format to the words that you want to be the link, otherwise the entire paragraph becomes a link.

One gotcha:

Be aware that any text in frame that is mapped to popuptxt will not appear in your html. This is not a problem for me as most of my definations appear in sidewords. If you need the text in your HTML as well, I'd use conditional text.

Karen Koldyk
SQA Tech. Writer
Fleming Companies Inc.