Re: Unisys in the news again

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:41:11 -0700, someone wrote (actually, forwarded):

>> Apparently the GIF/Unisys story on slashdot was very very inaccurate.

Wrong.  It was correct.  Unisys' Web site still has the page cited
on line:
  http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzw-license.html

The follow-up Slashdot item contains a phone interview that has *no*
official standing, and could even be characterized as "spin control":

>Upshot:
[Quote is from Mark T. Starr, Unisys' General Patent and Technology Counsel]
>"...if the GIFs on your Web site were created with software that is licensed
>by Unisys, you are fine. Nobody at Unisys is going to try to get $5000 or
>even $0.50 out of you. Period."

Fact:  Unisys' *official* web page plainly contradicts that idea:
>>Or even if the developer or service provider has a license, but it doesn"t
>>cover your use of the particular application you received, you should have
>>a license from Unisys to use the LZW patent.

How is one to know *what* the provider's license covers?  For that
matter, how is one to know whether the developer has a license at
all?  Is there a Unisys database on the Web one can consult to
answer this?  I don't know of one.  Otherwise, the only possible
result is FUD... which you can resolve only with that $5K license.

>"...virtually all of the major, heavily-used, commercial graphics programs
>from what he calls "reputable companies" (e.g. Adobe, Corel, JASC,
>Macromedia, Microsoft, AOL/Netscape, etc.) are licensed by Unisys. He said
>that even the "included" software packaged with most scanners and digital
>cameras is licensed. Use it, create all the GIFs you want with it, post
>those GIFs to your heart's content, and relax. Unisys will not come after
>you."

Fact:  As we have recently heard from an unimpeachable source, Adobe
dropped LZW compression from Acrobat 4.  This decision followed Unisys'
raising issues about end users receiving content with LZW compression,
despite the fact that Adobe site-licensed for all of its LZW-producing
products.  Adobe is not noted for impetuous or irrational decisions.
If Adobe is worried enough to make a major change in a key product,
I think we *all* have entirely rational grounds for concern.

If Unisys wants to make an *official* announcement supporting the
interpretation in the above quote on their Web site, great!  If not,
I personally must go with the official information already posted.
(I have already ensured that our own Web site contains no GIFs.)

Incidentally, Mr. Starr, Unisys' Counsel quoted above, has contacted
me directly.  If he approves, I will release our correspondence on
this issue to the list in the near future.  My sole purpose here is
to help us all gain a clear understanding of the situation; I have
no interest in disseminating unfounded rumors, nor in disregarding
unpleasant truths.  Either one does not serve any of us well.

Permission is granted to repost this on other relevant lists and
on the Web.

--Jeremy H. Griffith     <jeremy@omsys.com>
  http://www.omsys.com/jeremy/