Re: FW: Unisys Launches Massive Ripoff of the Web

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:29:09 -0700, Dov Isaacs <isaacs@Adobe.COM> wrote:

>Adobe ran into this Unisys LZW issue several years ago. Even though we
>site licensed it, Unisys was raising issues about anyone receiving content
>with LZW compression used in our products.
>
>As such, Acrobat 3 and Acrobat 4 do not use LZW compression in CREATING
>PDF files. The options include JPEG and ZIP for color and grayscale;
>CITT Group 3, CITT Group 4, ZIP, and run length encoding for single bit
>bitmaps.
>
>PDF files generated with recent versions of Adobe Acrobat 4 have no
>reason to be concerned about Unisys' licensing gambits.

Thank you, Dov!  It's a relief to know that Acrobat 3 and 4 PDFs are
guaranteed to be safe.  <g>

I still have some real old ones around, that may have been made with
original Acrobat or Acrobat 2.  Are they also safe?  Is there any good
way to check them and make sure?  I'm not sure if I even still have the
files I made them from on anything I can read.  (Think 5.25" floppy. ;-)

Thanks again for settling this point!

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/