RE: Line numbering and file breaks

Hedley:
There's far more to the line numbering problem than just eliminating empty
paragraphs, as I explained in detail in the post that you extracted from below.
In a legal document, the line numbers must properly align with each text
line, and that's not a simple problem as I explained in detail in my post.

At 10:30 AM 4/13/99 +1000, Hedley_S_Finger@allegiance.com.au wrote:

>Framers:

>> > 2. - Is it possible to have line numbering down the side of a page,
>where
>> > the numbering counts only the lines with text in them and not blank
>lines?
>> Despite what some others have stated, there is no viable way to do this
>in
>> FrameMaker without developing an API client.
>>

>Why are these empty paragraphs there?  For layout and spacing purposes, as
>is common in Word documents?  Just use search-and-replace with wildcards to
>find paragraphs that are empty and delete them [find: \(\p\)\(\p\);
>replace: \1; I don't have access to FM or any manuals right now, so regular
>expressions may not be correct].  In legal contexts, numbering restarts
>with each page break.  If you need numbering to continue across book files,
>no dice.  Unless you want to add a numbering counter in its own numbering
>flow to every para tag, but that would count only paras, not lines.
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646