preparing color docs for commercial printer

My printer is telling me that the files I have sent them show process
color instead of spot color. I did select "spot" in the FM doc, however.
The files are being sent as both PDF and as postscript. I've set
Distiller options to the settings recommended by my printer, but they
are still showing up as process color instead of spot. Does anyone know
what could be causing this?

TIA for any advice,

Chris