Re: Lurkers and apologists

At 11:15 AM 11/6/98 -0700, Grant wrote:
>At 10:11 AM 11/6/98 -0700, Dan Emory wrote:
>>You should also know that the great majority of the 2000 subscribers
>on the
>>FrameUsers list are "lurkers." They never post anything. No one
>knows why
>>they subscribe, or what they think, but they're the real audience.
>
>Dan... this is true of 98% of lists I'm on....
>It's because maybe they don't have time to respond,
>are afraid of revealing their ignorance, or are only looking
>for certain specific bits of knowledge.  I read far more
>than I post to almost every list I'm on.

Grant,
Thank you for this explanation, all of which apply. I found the comment
about lurkers a _wee tad_ offensive, but quickly got over it for I
understand the emotions going on with these lists; and the freedoms at
stake. I am one of those lurkers. I have nothing of substance to add to
most posting but get a tremendous amount knowledge from many of the
posting. With lists, I too am on many, I try to use the rule:

It is better to keep ones mouth shut
and be thought an fool than to open
it and remove all doubt. <Or some such...>

I just broke my rule; now you know.

Lurker in bliss.
\V  ;-)

>I'm not an apologist for Adobe, although I did work for
>Frame back in the 2.0-3.0 days (you can blame me for
>some of those manuals).  I don't think that any
>organization , group or individual is beyond criticism,
>but I tend to hold to the old saw that goes:
>"don't automatically attribute to conspiracy that which can
>be explained by stupidity."  :-)
>
>Adobe is better than many (most) companies of their size
>at trying to be responsive.  It certainly could do better, and
>has made its share of boneheaded decsions.
>(No-one is immune to pointy-haired management!)
>I find them generally more responsive and would rather deal
>with them than say Microsloth, or the folks at Oracle. (where
>I also used to work....)
>
>Ah well...it may not be a perfect world, but it's the only one
>we've got at the moment.
>
>Grant

>** with "unsubscribe framers" (no quotes) in the body.   **

Van Shackelford               Direct: +1 408 542 96 58
Manager/Technical Writer      Main:   +1 408 542 96 00
Cygnus Solutions              Fax:    +1 408 542 96 99
http://www.cygnus.com		Email:  vans@cygnus.com
-->> 1325 Chesapeake Terrace, Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA <<--