Re: Lurkers and apologists

At 10:11 AM 11/6/98 -0700, Dan Emory wrote:
>You should also know that the great majority of the 2000 subscribers
on the
>FrameUsers list are "lurkers." They never post anything. No one
knows why
>they subscribe, or what they think, but they're the real audience.

Dan... this is true of 98% of lists I'm on....
It's because maybe they don't have time to respond,
are afraid of revealing their ignorance, or are only looking
for certain specific bits of knowledge.  I read far more
than I post to almost every list I'm on.

I'm not an apologist for Adobe, although I did work for
Frame back in the 2.0-3.0 days (you can blame me for
some of those manuals).  I don't think that any
organization , group or individual is beyond criticism,
but I tend to hold to the old saw that goes:
"don't automatically attribute to conspiracy that which can
be explained by stupidity."  :-)

Adobe is better than many (most) companies of their size
at trying to be responsive.  It certainly could do better, and
has made its share of boneheaded decsions.
(No-one is immune to pointy-haired management!)
I find them generally more responsive and would rather deal
with them than say Microsloth, or the folks at Oracle. (where
I also used to work....)

Ah well...it may not be a perfect world, but it's the only one
we've got at the moment.

Grant