Re: Best method for graphic callouts

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:12:43 -0500, "Eric J. Stoffer" <stoffer@web-acs.com>
wrote:

>I would like to know how other people handle callouts in FrameMaker.
>Specifically I need to be able to use cross-references in the callouts
>to text in the FM document.

There are two distinct reasons to use xrefs: to contribute text from
the source of the xref (such as the text of a heading), and to enable
hypertext jumps from the xref to the source.  Which do you need to do?

> To complicate the matter I need to save my
>graphics (.cgm) as a single unit (I cannot use text frames or text lines
>in FM) because I will be saving my FM documents as SGML and the graphic
>must stand on it's own.  I draw my graphics with ISO Draw.

This is the problem.  To use Frame xrefs, you must use an FM text frame
in the graphic, with the xref text inside it.  Text lines won't work.
I would think, though, that you could readily save such a drawing,
done in ISO Draw, imported by reference, with FM text frames on top,
as a CGM from within Frame... is there a problem with the CGM export?

If all you need is the hyperlink aspect of the xrefs, you can do that
with a graphic done entirely in ISO Draw.  Import by reference, and put
invisible text frames over each bit you want to use as a hotspot.  In
each frame, put one hypertext marker with "gotolink yourlinkname".
At the places you want to jump to, put hypertext markers with "newlink"
and the matching name.  That way you have the hyperlinks in Frame, and
the plain ISO Draw graphic elsewhere.

>Your experience and thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated.

HTH!

   (jeremy@omsys.com)     http://www.omsys.com/
** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **