Re: FrameMaker 5.5.6 and XML experience?

Dan Emory wrote:

> The HTML-like solution offerred in FM5.5.6 will be a loser. The
> question is what about the "real" XML implementation in FM+SGML 5.5.6,
>
> which, if it was done right, should avoid all those shortcomings? Has
> anyone
> explored it yet? Is it viable?

As I mentioned in my last post related to Frame's XML ability, I haven't
had much of a chance to play with it, but what I saw looked pretty good.
I'd be interested to hear what you mean by "real" and what shortcomings
you're aware of. Are you implying that Frame should produce a DTD for
the files saved as XML? It seems to me that an approach similar to the
one that is employed for producing HTML would be quite reasonable.
It seems to me when you already have the high-end solution well covered,
you might be wise to cater to those seeking the lowest common
denominator solution. Given Frame's ability to deal well with highly
structured data in the form of SGML, I would have thought that the
creation of simple, well-formed XML would be the logical other end of
the market. Having been involved for many years with the conversion of
legacy data, I wish all word processors were capable of producing just
such a thing - it would cut out the ugliest and most time-consuming step
of the conversion cycle.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au