Re: FrameMaker 5.5.6 and XML experience?

At 02:46 PM 10/22/98 -0700, Dan Emory wrote:
>At 12:11 PM 10/22/98 -7, Grant Hogarth wrote:
>>---------------Extensive Snip
>>FM556 supports XML in the same way that it supports HTML:
>>through a look-up table on a reference page.  This is a good first
>>step, but without equivalent parsing, validating, and viewing
tools,
>>all it can do is prepare us for moving to XML.  I've just installed

>>it this morning, so can't really comment on it beyond that yet.
>The HTML-like solution offerred in FM5.5.6 will be a loser. The
>question is what about the "real" XML implementation in FM+SGML
5.5.6,
>which, if it was done right, should avoid all those shortcomings?
Has anyone
>explored it yet? Is it viable?

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you on this one, Dan.
I think it is a but a first step.  I've got 556+SGML waiting to
install at home, but I've not had a chance to install it yet.

Granted that "plain" 556 will generate only single layer XML,
it's still better than anything else out there.  I think Frame/Adobe
is right to be committed but go slow until they get a better idea of
how people want to use XML.  They don't need to rush to market
with a "complete" solution just yet as 1) it is an open standard, and

seems to have every intention of remaining that, and 2) There are
no competing products out ther yet. (yes there are other products,
but their price point moves them out of the competitive range for
most of us...  (I'd love to have a hummer to commute with, but I'm
not likely to afford one anytime soon....)

Could Adobe have done better?  probably.  Can I see room
for improvements? certainly.  But the same is true with any
product (including books...).  This will get me to the next stage
without a lot of pain, which is more than enough to keep me happy
for the moment.

Grant