Re: Safe graphics format x-platform x-application

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:18:27 +0200 (MET DST), Thomas Michanek <tmi@telelogic.se>
wrote:

>I don't agree with TIFF being the best format for multiple platforms.
>The problem is that there are so many different versions of the
>TIFF format that you have to test extensively with your graphics
>software and FM on all platforms to be certain it will work.

I have to agree with Thomas.  If you read the TIFF spec, there
are so many different variations permitted that no one package
ever could support them all.  The problem is that the spec does
not define subsets, so each developer chooses for themselves;
chaos is the result.

>In our UNIX and Windows NT experience, GIF is a cross-platform
>format that gives very few problems.

As much as I dislike the Unisys patent on GIF (actually, on the
form of LZW compression it uses), I too have to recommend it.
Among the bitmap formats FrameMaker supports, only two work with
the WinHelp compiler:  DIB (.bmp, also used within .wmfs) and
GIF (undocumented, but works well for WinHelp 4).  And of these,
only GIF works with HTML for all browsers; few support DIB.
So if you want to use the same graphic for all forms of on-line
help, as well as for print, GIF is really your only choice.

   (jeremy@omsys.com)     http://www.omsys.com/
** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **