RE: style questions

My two cents.

Everywhere I have worked we always had a style guide of one sort or another. But they always had a statement that basically said that if it isn't covered by the style guide, defer to the Microsoft Manual of Style.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-framers@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-framers@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Susie Q
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:01 AM
To: framers@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: style questions

Many thanks to all of you who responded! Your feedback is very helpful.
I am a lone writer, and it's nice to be able to bounce these kinds of
questions
off fellow writers for a change...

>From: "Susie Q" <strct_rookie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: framers@xxxxxxxxx
>Subject: style questions
>Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:15:35 -0400
>
>Forgive the not-strictly-on-topic questions, but I wonder how other
>writers feel about these style choices:
>
>1) referencing chapters, figures, tables using lowercase instead of
>    upper.
>
>    For example:
>
>    see figure 1-5 in chapter 3, Using our Software
>
>    instead of:
>
>   see Figure 1-5 in Chapter 3, Using our Software
>
>2) Using quotation marks to set off a referenced heading, instead
>    of italics.
>
>    For example:
>
>    see "That other section I wrote" for more information
>
>    instead of:
>
>    see _That other section I wrote_ for more infroamtion
>    (where the _section name_ would be in italics)
>
>I'm finding both of these hard on my eyes, and wonder what
>is generally used.
>
>Thanks for any feedback --

"This email message and any attachments are confidential information of Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank you."