RE: Any way to insert a checkbox that will automatically be active in the PDF?

We are working on being able to generate electronic forms while keeping
the original file in FrameMaker. The solution I have proposed should
work for you also. Here is a copy of a proposal I sent up the chain here
at work. The company names have been removed to protect the innocent.
Hehe

If you have any questions, let me know.

As you requested, here is the solution I propose to enable us to create
a Start Up Checklist and Warranty Card that remains in FrameMaker
format. This is a single-source solution that would allow us to continue
to import the checklist and warranty card into the manuals while
allowing an electronic form to be generated that can be put on the
<company_name> website where customers can access, complete, save, and
submit the information electronically.

Using a FrameMaker/Acrobat solution had one major drawback, every time
the original document was changed and a .PDF generated the form data
would have to be re-entered into the .PDF file; FrameMaker does not do
forms.

Using a Word or some other format to create the form would create import
headaches and even the possibility that we could not import the form
into the manuals.

After a bit of research, the solution I have found is a pair of plug-ins
by a company called MicroType. The MicroType SP Timesavers, FrameMaker
Edition, plug-in adds functionality to FrameMaker. MicroType SP Form
Assistant is an extension of SP Timesavers that allows a writer to
insert form data into the FrameMaker file. This form data is then
carried over when the .PDF is generated. A current, full version of
Adobe Acrobat installed on each of our machines would also be helpful if
tweaks or changes are needed after a .PDF is generated.

On the form user's end Adobe Acrobat Reader with the Forms plug-in will
allow users to view, fill out, print, and submit the form to Ariel on
paper or electronically. The user can complete and submit the .PDF form
on the <company_name> website or download it. If they download the .PDF
form, they can fill it out and submit it electronically, as an email
attachment, or print it, complete it by hand, and submit the paper form.
In addition, Adobe Acrobat Reader and the Forms plug-in are both free on
the Adobe website.

The costs are as follow:
MicroType SP Timesavers, FrameMaker Edition - $200 per seat MicroType SP
Form Assistant - $100 per seat
Adobe Acrobat (current version) - $??
IT time to install software - $??

With FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers + Form Assistant, you can include
custom hypertext markers in the FrameMaker files (once) which are
converted to PDF form fields every time the FrameMaker file is
distilled.

More info and demo files (FM + resulting PDFs with form fields) are
available at http://www.microtype.com/timesavers.html
*