Re: FrameMaker Release 7.2

At 02:40 AM 9/16/2005, Steve Whitlatch wrote:

Your posts are always of the highest value. I'll try to learn from what you've
written, and if I get the time I'll put some effort into learning to write
FDK clients. But for now, the new XSL import-export capabilities in
FrameMaker have my attention. Can you tell more about these new capabilities?
Yes, I still want to eliminate the need for an FDK client completely. Can you
shed any light on what that might take for DocBook XML.

Steve, If I remember correctly, the DocBook FDK client:

a) Combines sequences of white space characters into a single space
b) Maps between the DocBook IndexTerm model and FM index markers (with limited support for font changes)
c) Changes Ulink elements to text insets of type text

Certainly the first two can be done with XSLT. Some variation of the last one might also be possible, using text insets of type text (I'd have to think more about special characters, though).

Also, do you know if these new XSL import-export capabilities are well
documented? I need good documentation. My background is in technical writing,
not programming. I only program when I must.

While we'll all have to wait to see the documentation that comes with the new release, I expect there will be documentation on how to invoke XSLT from FM but nothing documenting XSLT itself. After all, XSLT is something that you will now be able to use with FM but since it exists outside of FM it should be documented outside of FM.

--Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development, and training
lprice@xxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505 cell phone: (510) 421-2284