Re: FrameMaker Release 7.2

On Friday 16 September 2005 12:12 am, Lynne A. Price wrote:

>    I am very tempted to argue that there is no need to hate FDK clients,

You are right, and I have purposely been overly dramatic. That FDK clients are
an important part of a structured FrameMaker application is, in my opinion,
both good and bad. Of course, FDK clients are good because they extend
structured FrameMaker's capabilities. But they are bad because FrameMaker
needs the FDK clients to do too many things.

I've listened to Linux kernel programmer conversations in which, when one was
asked to explain something, the final reply after attempting more detail was
"it does the right thing." That reply was accepted and understood. The
meaning was that under all the possible gazillions of conditions that might
occur, the code did what was expected with no harmful side affects.  I got
the impression that "it does the right thing" is an often-used phrase.

Of course, that is what I want from FrameMaker, without the need for an FDK
client. I want FrameMaker to always "do the right thing." It is too much to
ask, yes, because I want that without having to actually write the code that
makes the right thing happen.

Your posts are always of the highest value. I'll try to learn from what you've
written, and if I get the time I'll put some effort into learning to write
FDK clients. But for now, the new XSL import-export capabilities in
FrameMaker have my attention. Can you tell more about these new capabilities?
Yes, I still want to eliminate the need for an FDK client completely. Can you
shed any light on what that might take for DocBook XML.

Also, do you know if these new XSL import-export capabilities are well
documented? I need good documentation. My background is in technical writing,
not programming. I only program when I must.

Do you think it's possible to create a FrameMaker DocBook XML project without
using any FDK at all, just using the new XSLimport-export capabilities? I am
mostly concerned about maintaining validity throughout (import, while
authoring, and export). FrameMaker's automated formatting upon import is very
nice, but for me it is secondary to validity issues.

While I have your attention, is there a read/write rule that prevents
FrameMaker from including the unstructured files of a FrameMaker book (TOC,
LOT, LOF, etc.) into the exported XML tree.

Thank you for all your help.

Steve Whitlatch