RE: Numbering errors when generating books

Vincent Hurtel wrote:

> It's exactly what we do. We generate each book using the Edit menu.
> But none of the shared files have distinct numbering
> properties. All the settings are identical.
> So why does FrameMaker tells the contrary ?
> We want to establish a pre-set generation properties, in
> order to simplify FrameScript book generation automation.
> So we don't want to have to re-set each book one after the other.

The settings may be identical, but the numbers aren't. Let's say, for
example, that in Book A, the previous file ends on page 6, and in Book B
it ends on page 8. The shared file that follows may be set to continue
page numbering from the previous file, but that doesn't mean no change
is necessary.

When you update Book A, the shared file's first page is set to 7. That's
saved as part of the file (outside the book), which you can verify by
opening the file alone, outside of either book, or from Book B before
updating.

When you later update Book B, the _actual_page_numbers_ in the shared
file must be changed. FM wants to be sure you're aware of and OK with
changing the first page from the number 7 to the number 9 (required to
update Book B).

Granted, it might be nice if you could suppress these warnings forever
for the shared files. But if you're going to automate the updates with
FrameScript, you should be able to do so programmatically, just as you
can ignore missing graphics, fonts, etc. If you're not sure how, ask the
FrameScript users list (at Yahoo! Groups).

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs