Re: Are character tags picked up in xrefs?

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:07:52 -0400, "Rick Quatro"
<frameexpert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>As I do more testing, my joy is tempered a bit.

As well it might be.  Tweaking maker.ini is a serious hack...

>Here is what I have:
>
>Heading1 formatted with Arial Bold. I select a word in the heading and apply
>my character format with the new "Arial Italic" font. The word is
>italicized, but I lose the bold from the default paragraph font, even though
>the Weight is set to As Is.

Yes.  These are hard overrides.  You could try using:

Arial, Italic, *=Arial Italic, Italic, *, *

Then the bolding will depend on the format where the ref is inserted,
but it will stay italic regardless.

>If I use "Arial Bold Italic", all is fine with the word in the heading, but
>my the word in my cross-reference is also Bold Italic, even though the
>default paragraph font of my cross-reference paragraph is Regular weight.

That *is* what it's supposed to do, force the property to remain on
regardless of context.  It has an upside, and a downside.

>So, it seems that this works unless you have different weights between your
>cross-reference and source paragraphs.

If you *want* the weights or angles to be different, you need to use
a wildcard for the property that can vary, like this for Bold:

Arial, *, Bold=Arial Bold, *, Bold, *

But when you use both this and the one above, the fun begins.  Now
the Italic one no longer lets you do Bold, though the Bold lets you
do Italic.  And worse, regular Arial now won't do Bold *or* Italic...
Frame has its own ideas of what is good for you, and yours don't
count for much...

Finally, as Peter Gold suggested, if you send a file that depends
on this maker.ini hack to someone else who doesn't have the same
changes in their maker.ini, your fonts suddenly lose properties,
and you are back with plain Arial.  Try fixing a file, saving,
then removing the fonts from maker.ini, and reloading Frame and
the doc, to see what I mean...  ;-)

  <jeremy@xxxxxxxxx>  http://www.omsys.com/