RE: FrameMaker UI

At 8:10 AM -0600 6/7/05, John Bell (VA) wrote:
My favorite Frame UI oddity is the Paragraph Designer dialog. It has
both tabs AND a drop-down menu that do the same thing.

That's actually a species specific issue in windows (not sure about Solaris - it's been ages since I used FrameMaker on Unix). That dialog window on the Mac doesn't have both options; just the drop down menu, no tabs. It also responds to page down and page up which is what I use to change views in that dialog. No need to mouse around.

Then there is the tab stops "Edit..." button, which opens an "Edit Tab Stop" dialog. To make the UI consistent, tab settings should be on a separate UI tab.

I see what you mean, but I don't see that it would make a lot of difference in usability.

Then there's the need to press Command-L to refresh the display. No
other app I use needs to refresh its display, they handle all their
content without getting "confused".

This is a long-standing issue with FrameMaker. I wouldn't really class it as a UI issue though. It's more of an annoying shortcoming in performance. There was some discussion about this when Lee Richardson was still on the list, and the upshot was - apparently - that it took too much processor attention to keep it updated. I found, and still find it difficult to swallow that. I don't use any other application that requires a screen refresh. Even heavy pixel pushing applications manage to keep the screen written properly.

- web