RE: UI

Well as I mentioned originally, User Interfaces are purely subjective, and for the record I've used FrameMaker for almost 10 years now, so I'm not some guy off the street who simply knows MS word and wants it to act that way. However, I've always been disappointed that both under Frame and under Adobe FrameMaker has never taken advantage of any of the OS tools to perform what could be considered easier functions (on the Mac that meant AppleScript, Publish & Subscribe among the two biggies in my book). I have always used FrameMaker on dual platforms, but right now it's about 98% Windows because of where I work. For projects outside of work, I still prefer to use the Mac version.

My beef is the interface really needs to be updated, on the PC it's not as bad as on the Mac, but that's because it is still running under classic and even there has the same look and feel as it did under System 7. Outside the UI, there are issues with the product that should be fixed, mostly minor in my book, but some of these have been around as long as I've used the product. That has never been a comforting thought. With the exception of XML being standard, this product today has not progressed much beyond version 5.5, slightly better book management and other small tweaks have not been enough to justify the numbering scheme Adobe has decided to go with when producing "upgrades". All of these has really lead me to wonder what the fate of this product is. There isn't anything currently on the market that has the power of FrameMaker, but as Adobe continues to tweak their lineup, Frame remains the one product that hasn't been touched. Maybe that's what the conference and ann!
 ouncements are about. Don't know. But, I do know that like FreeHand, I worry that Adobe is going to milk the product for all it's worth without producing a substantial upgrade. And just because we all know how to use the tool, and we've learned to love it doesn't mean we can't wish for improvements.

Anyhow, these are simply my thoughts and it's obvious that others don't agree. That's fine with me, but I also don't want folks thinking that I've made my comments based on using the product for a brief time.

Wayne