Re: Dov's help, Shooting the messenger, Fruitless posts

Rolling up two sets of comments into one response....

>> Thanks to all who chased away such a valuable Acrobat resource from
>> this list.

Color me unconvinced that simple speculation was enough to precipitate
Dov's leaving the list. Anyone who didn't want to see the chatter could
filter on the subject line; Dov wasn't official so he wasn't required
to read everything posted here. When I "saw" him reading the list &
answering questions while nominally on vacation, I worried about him
burning out.

>> I cannot believe how bad the "chicken little" syndrome has gotten
>> here as of late. Those of you pushing and prying on this list
>> should be ashamed of yourselves for acting in such a manner, and
>> should take your concerns up with your FrameMaker support or sales
>> contact, NOT a user-oriented mailing list independent of Adobe.

Again, I'm unconvinced. My own attempts to take concerns directly
to Adobe were met with stock non-answers and parroting of the text
on the website. An Adobe-run list would have likely shut down a
"speculation" thread. So if an "independent user-oriented mailing
list" isn't the place to talk about the future of a product, then
I'm stumped for a more appropriate venue. A lot of the Mac-specific
chatter already moved to Paul Findon's list, BTW, and the threads
here & on FrameUsers were already showing signs of winding down &
would have been naught but background noise by next week.

And, I would point out, a simple comment from Adobe PR -- "we have
shut down MacOS development for FrameMaker, but intend to continue
developing Windows and Solaris versions for the foreseeable future"
for example -- would have killed all speculation.

> This is one of the reasons why many other lists are moderated. I know
> Jeremy has a fairly liberal attitude regarding list management, but,
> as a result of this event, I strongly recommend he review his
> policies.

On FrameUsers, Brad has called for "no further comments" on heated
topics in the past -- my take was that it hadn't got to that point.
Like I said, this would have most likely blown over on its own in a
week. Given that this list is called "Free Framers" by many, and
originally created when some thought Brad was too heavy-handed, I
don't see list policies changing much. Just my opinion; I could be
wrong.

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
"Content creators are the engine that drives