Re: FrameMaker Replacements

Our group was instrumental in creating and delivering an SGML, then an XML, solution for the writers in our division. We evaluated FrameMaker+SGML and ArborText with Epic. In the end, we decided upon FrameMaker+SGML (and now FrameMaker 7.0 Structured). ArborText cost WAAAAAY too much, was harder to use (because all of our writers were already familiar with FrameMaker), and there was not a clear conversion path from plain, unstructured FrameMaker to ArborText.

Our group had one dedicated engineer to develop the FrameMaker SGML/XML solution. As my manager was fond of saying, he "SDKd the h*ll out of it" using a FrameMaker developer's license. However, we can do a lot in FrameMaker now. The conversion process, while time consuming, was not difficult, and we've added a bunch of new features that our writers really like.

The other division is currently developing a solution in ArborText. I think it's been 2-3 years now. When I saw ArborText, I did like how powerful it was. But I don't think anyone's thought about a FrameMaker-less future.

-Robyn

balson wrote:

OpenOffice (OO) vs Frame. I did an evaluation and found OO to be lacking in several areas, and I'm not even a professional writer, although I do write as part of my profession.

2 things were killers for me when doing this comparison and both had to do with PDF creation.

- OO does not do PDF bookmarks (at least not in the version I am using)
- OO could create PDF files with clean graphics in them. Very unprofessional.

As an example of this, I have created a one page web site that provides examples of the bad graphics conversions when using OO.

http://home.comcast.net/~xperf//frame/OO_vs_Frame.html

OO looks and feels more modern. But Frame just gives me more control with what I am working with. It was a no brainer to go with Frame.

Jim (long time listener, but this is my first post to the group)