re: [f2a] Acrobat 5 and acrobat 6

At 8/29/2004 09:07 PM, shlomo.perets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Wim,
>
>You wrote:
>
> > are there any complications known when installing both Acrobat 5 and 6
> > (both full version) on one system?
>
>I have Acrobat 5 and 6 installed in the same system (and also Reader)
>and haven't experienced any complications.
>
>I know that Adobe's recommendation (also indicated as a warning
>when installing Acrobat) is to have only one Acrobat version in
>a computer. However, as PDF producers often need to support
>multiple Acrobat versions (for several reasons), having a separate
>computer (or OS partition) for each Acrobat/Reader version is
>not an option for many.
>
>Shlomo

Please note that although one can "sort of" get parts of Acrobat 5 and 6
to work together on a particular Windows system, it is strongly NOT
recommended because:

(1) Depending upon order of installation / deinstallation / update / etc.
only Acrobat 5 or 6 can "own" the PDF file types, coordinate with the
Distiller, and be the PDFMaker owner.

(2) Because of the uncertainly of (1) above, it is difficult to reliably
support such installations.

(3) Adobe does not provide support for such installations. If you have
a problem and want Adobe's support, you will "clean" your system by
uninstalling all pieces and parts of Acrobat and Reader that you have
installed and install either one or the other.

Unless you are pretty good system hacker and know what you are doing,
we REALLY recommend that you don't try such parallel installations.
And furthermore, if you are successful at such an installation, please
don't encourage others with less skills to do so; you are doing them
no favors!

        - Dov