RE: finding missing graphics

Thanks Thomas and Fred for such quick replies.
I'm answering both of you in one message. The original request is at the end
of this.

Regarding Thomas' message:

|Except for creating a List of Referenced Graphics, there is no simple way
to find a graphic file name. You could save the file to MIF, search the MIF
file for the file name, and then trying to delete it from the MIF or figure
out where it's hiding, but that's generally
not an easy task if you don't know MIF fairly well.

This is done as LOR - And the missing file names are not on the list. I
would rather not go the MIF route, but if I have to, I will.

|But, have you tried looking at the Master and Reference pages?
|If you don't find an image visually, there are two common ways for
|images to hide:
|1) in an anchored frame behind another graphic, or placed outside
|   the cropped border of the frame (but still in the frame)
|2) placed outside the page edge (which cannot be seen in FM)
|
|In case 1, you can select the frame, Edit > Select All in Frame, and
|then use ctrl+click to deselect all visible objects you can find. When
nothing seems to be selected anymore, try Graphics > Object Properties.
|If you get a message that no object is selected, fine. Otherwise,
|there are hidden objects that you may delete by using the Delete key.

I've tried this and found nothing. I jotted down the "mising" file names so
I really do know where they ought to be. They just aren't there.

|In case 2, you click outside any text frame or graphic object on the
|page, Edit > Select All on Page, and then use ctrl+click to deselect
|all visible text frames and other objects you can find. Then do the
|same as above.

I realized that some of the files were probably on master pages that aren't
being used, so I've gotten rid of those master pages. That has taken care of
some of the missing files and they are no longer "missing".

|You can use the method above also on Body pages, but if it's a large
|document, the MIF method may be faster. Or, you could save the
|document into halves, and reopen them to pin down in which part of
|the file the graphic is hiding. But check Master/Reference pages first.

Regarding Fred's message,

|First of all, graphics are not necessarily contained in anchored |frames.
|Using Find/Change to search for anchored frames will overlook |graphics
frames that are directly placed on your body pages. And it |can sometimes be
hard to find directly placed frames because they |may lie behind the main
text frame and be virtually invisible. The |Edit>Select All on Page command
(only available when there is no |insertion point in the text flow)may be
helpful if you have time to |do a page-by-page examination.

You and Thomas are on the same track and I'll definitely try this.

|Second, body pages are not the only place where graphics may be |placed.
Have you searched your master pages and reference pages as |well as the body
pages?  And note that none of the frames on these |pages are anchored
frames. Select All on Page can be useful here, |too.

Yeah, searched there, but I will go back and try the "select all on page"
method.

|Third, if you have the "Save FrameImage with imported graphics" |option
turned on (in the File>Preferences dialog) it is hard to |distinguish which
graphics are actually missing, because a Frame-|specific version of each
graphic gets saved with the FrameMaker |file. In this circumstance, the only
way to determine whether |FrameMaker knows where the original graphic is
located is to right-|click on each graphic and look at the Object Properties
to see if |there is a proper filename and path shown for the "Reference
File".

"Save FrameImage with imported graphics" is not on. Besides I know the path
to the file if I wanted to use the image. I'm not looking for the file among
all my images; I'm trying to find where it is in the FrameMaker files to get
rid of all references to it so that it doesn't come up "missing" the next
time I open it.