Re: finding missing graphics

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
  If this reply is useful, consider copying it to FrameUsers. ]

From: "Ellen LEBELLE" <elebelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> When I open
> a document and skip the missing graphics (because I don't really
> want them anymore, for example) is there a way to find where they
> are hiding in order to delete them?
>
> My probplem is that on the Find/Change menu
> I see I can find unresolved text insets and I can find anchored frames,
> but I can't find unresolved of missing graphics.
> I've looked in all the anchored frames (making sure they are not lurking
> behind the graphic I want to keep) and cannot find the missing graphics,
> there, either.
> I've created an LOR of graphics and those missing graphics don't come
> up on the list.
> I've considered that the referred to images were in a text inset that had
> several referred to images in conditional text and it is the unwanted
> "conditional" images that are missing. But I have already converted
> everything in this document to text and deleted the unwanted images - but
> they still keep coming up as missing when I open the saved document.

Except for creating a List of Referenced Graphics, there is no simple
way to find a graphic file name. You could save the file to MIF,
search the MIF file for the file name, and then trying to delete it
from the MIF or figure out where it's hiding, but that's generally
not an easy task if you don't know MIF fairly well.

But, have you tried looking at the Master and Reference pages?
If you don't find an image visually, there are two common ways for
images to hide:
1) in an anchored frame behind another graphic, or placed outside
   the cropped border of the frame (but still in the frame)
2) placed outside the page edge (which cannot be seen in FM)

In case 1, you can select the frame, Edit > Select All in Frame, and
then use ctrl+click to deselect all visible objects you can find. When
nothing seems to be selected anymore, try Graphics > Object Properties.
If you get a message that no object is selected, fine. Otherwise,
there are hidden objects that you may delete by using the Delete key.

In case 2, you click outside any text frame or graphic object on the
page, Edit > Select All on Page, and then use ctrl+click to deselect
all visible text frames and other objects you can find. Then do the
same as above.

You can use the method above also on Body pages, but if it's a large
document, the MIF method may be faster. Or, you could save the
document into halves, and reopen them to pin down in which part of
the file the graphic is hiding. But check Master/Reference pages first.

Hope that helps,