Re: Kluge around format problem with long TOC entries

[Stephen: I'm copying this to Free Framers as I think it's
of general interest. Private email conversation regarding
this topic doesn't benefit the framers community.]

From: "Stephen O'Brien" <sobrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> is there any way for the text on the 2nd
> line to be left-aligned to the text on the first line
> (I'm not sure as to correct formatting here) - see example:
>
> currently:
> 16.2.5 Header contents that occupy more than 1 line
> continuation of header on line 2................................page #
>
> would like:
> 16.2.5 Header contents that occupy more than 1 line
>        continuation of header on line 2.........................page #
>
> Problem: cannot simply specify a left margin for 2nd and n lines because
> the numbering (1.1.1 vs 4.4.4) occupies a variable space...

FrameMaker cannot look at the first line and use a varying indent
depending on what it finds there. You have to define tabs and
left indents. Define a tab stop where you want the heading text
to start after the numbering and use that as a left indent for
the remaining lines. This could actually improve the layout of
your TOC by using the same indents throughout your index.

Regards,
Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@xxxxxxxxx
http://go.to/framers/