RE: Oh dear, ...Page Count

At 10:22 AM 8/3/04, Combs, Richard wrote:
Jim Light wrote:

> I have FrameMaker 7.1 and the very first variable on the list
> is Page Count.
> But I suppose that just means you have an older version.
> Sorry.

In FM6 (and, IIRC, in earlier versions as well), Page Count is also the
first item in the Variables list. But its definition is the building
block <$lastpagenum>, and if you insert it, you'll find that it's
referencing the last page of the _current file_, not the book.

Has that changed in 7.1? I'd be surprised.

Ah, the light dawns! I'd never used it for total pages in a book before, just a file. I've used "page x of totalpages" in the footer often

Is there any way to modify the built in variables to use the one that has "page x of totalpages" to drop the first part and just keep the total page count for the book?

Thanks fellow tech writers.

Best,

Allen