RE: forcing line breaks in a paragraph format

Dennis-Before I posted my question, I tried the \x09 in the Autonumber box and it doesn't work. I try typing it in, Update All for the style, but it doesn't take.  The carriage return does not appear and the hex code disappears from the Autonumber box.

What am I doing wrong?

Elizabeth