Re: Preserve linebreaks

At 08:26 AM 6/30/2004, Fredrik Nyman wrote:
I have some text that I want to preserve the exact layout of. I've tried
using programlisting, literallayout and screen, making them format the
text with a paragraph tag using Courier. It all works out ok, but I fail
to get empty rows (only a linebreak) to be preserved in the output.

The rules for each of these three all include the

preserve line breaks;

statement.

When I open the XML file in framemaker (windows, 7.0p578), it converts everything nicely including putting the expected paragraph format on the section with screen/literallayout/programlisting, but those rows that contain a single linebreak are removed ...

Fredrik,
I suspect that FM uses an XML parser that strips out blank lines so they are
gone before FM sees them. You can put some white space on otherwise empty lines,
or you can define an entity to insert a blankline:

<!ENTITY linebreak "
">

works just fine and enables markup like:

Flags: R - Routed, A - Routing accelerated by hardware
      C - Classified by hardware, F - Forwarded by hardware
&linebreak;
Type Source                            Destination               Flgs

Good luck.
        --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development, and training
lprice@xxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505 cell phone: (510) 421-2284