Preserve linebreaks

Hi again!

Ok, so my XML importing is starting to look good now (not least thanks to
some you). But I have of course run my head into another annoying
feature.

I have some text that I want to preserve the exact layout of. I've tried
using programlisting, literallayout and screen, making them format the
text with a paragraph tag using Courier. It all works out ok, but I fail
to get empty rows (only a linebreak) to be preserved in the output.

Now, the output that I've put in programlisting/literallayout/screen is
generated in such way that some rows consists of a single ASCII 10
character, which on UNIX systems is interpreted as a line-break.

h (104)
a (97)
r (114)
d (100)
w (119)
a (97)
r (114)
e (101)
 (10)      <- End of previous row
 (10)      <- Empty row
T (84)     <- Start of next row
y (121)
p (112)
e (101)

The rules for each of these three all include the

  preserve line breaks;

statement.

element "literallayout"
{
  is fm element "LiteralLayout";
  preserve line breaks;
}
element "programlisting"
{
  is fm element "ProgramListing";
  preserve line breaks;
}
element "screen"
{
  preserve line breaks;
  is fm element "Screen";
}

I've tried all three in the hope that they might work differently in this
regard. Of course they do not.. :-(

When I open the XML file in framemaker (windows, 7.0p578), it converts
everything nicely including putting the expected paragraph format on the
section with screen/literallayout/programlisting, but those rows that
contain a single linebreak are removed so instead of

Flags: R - Routed, A - Routing accelerated by hardware
       C - Classified by hardware, F - Forwarded by hardware

Type Source                             Destination                Flgs

I get

Flags: R - Routed, A - Routing accelerated by hardware
       C - Classified by hardware, F - Forwarded by hardware
Type Source                             Destination                Flgs

If I start the empty row with a whitespace it works of course, but I'd
rather avoid the tedious job of going through all files just to add a
whitespace on any empty row (or writing a tool for it).

Ideas, anyone?

--
Fredrik Nyman
PacketFront Sweden AB