Re: importing a Word file with embedded graphics

> .... When you import
> a Word file into Frame using the Word import filter and you have
> embedded graphics, the resulting Frame file will then have embedded
> graphics as well. Is this correct?

Correct.

> I do know that I can take the original
> Word file and make a pdf file out of it, then export the graphics from
> that, but I can't think of any other way of obtaining the source graphic

> files that were used in the Word document. This often happens to us when

> we inherit Word files and the originators don't keep copies of their
> graphics.

It's easier if you have Word and graphics editing software.
Here's how I do it:

  1) Open the Word file in Word.
  2) For bitmaps, double-click on it to bring up the graphics
     properties and resize to 100% (this is important).
  3) Copy the graphic & paste it into your paint/draw program.
  4) Save the file & import it into Frame.

The Save as HTML route works if all of the graphics are bitmap
files (e.g. photos, screenshots), but you still need to resize
them to 100% before saving to avoid losing data, and screenshots
really should be PNG or GIF; screen shots & JPEG don't mix well.

Another possibility would involve a script to extract and save
each graphic, whether in Word (using VBA) or Frame (using either
FrameScript or AppleScript). If you have a regular stream of
incoming Word files, that's probably the approach you want to
take.

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
"Content creators are the engine that drives