importing a Word file with embedded graphics

Good afternoon-Hopefully, this is a very quick question. When you import a Word file into Frame using the Word import filter and you have embedded graphics, the resulting Frame file will then have embedded graphics as well. Is this correct? Is there any way to change the embedded graphics into referenced graphics? I know Systec Toolbox can change referenced graphics into copies but I don't think there is a way to go in the other direction. I do know that I can take the original Word file and make a pdf file out of it, then export the graphics from that, but I can't think of any other way of obtaining the source graphic files that were used in the Word document. This often happens to us when we inherit Word files and the originators don't keep copies of their graphics.

Any help is appreciated.

Elizabeth K.