question about chapter number variable

I'm trying to update a 4-year-old template (FM 7 on Windows 2000) and I can't
get the Chapter numbering paragraph tag to leave space above. The current
technique is to insert a blank Body tag first in order to achieve the desired
positioning approximately 1.5 inches from the top of the column. My
troubleshooting indicates that the chapter number variable <$chapnum> is causing
this to happen. Is that the expected behavior? Here's what we use:

ChaptHeading (inserts the word "Chapter" plus the number)
Title
Body

Here's what we have for the ChaptHeading tag:

Numbering = C:Chapter <$chapnum>
Space above = 66.0 pt, but it's not happening

All other properties match the Title tag.

I've experimented with creating new tags with different properties, but the
minute I make the numbering consistent with the one above, it moves to the top
of the column. I like clean templates that use design to achieve effects; to me
inserting that Body tag is a hack. Can anyone help?

Linda D. Lee (Contractor)
Technical Writer
Harris Corporation
Network Support Division
Documentation & Training Department
321-724-3521

Confidentiality Notice
This message is confidential . If you are not the intended recipient, you may
not copy or otherwise disclose the contents of this message to any other person.
If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender
immediately by return e-mail. Thank you.