Re: Symbol printing incorrectly -- repost from Dov Isaacs

David and all,

The following is the complete text of a message from Dov Isaacs on this and
related issues.

David, the problem isn't the one symbol, but all symbols. Until you
institute the fix below, all symbols will have weird spacing following,
independent of whether space characters follow or not. Also, the amount of
"weirdness" varies from character to character, but is consistent with a
given character in the font.

I'm including the whole message for completeness; the key points, however,
are the numbered directions AND the paragraph that follows "FURTHERMORE".

Best,

Tom Neuburger

--- From Dov Isaacs ---

All:

Two messages appeared on these lists today that have quite a bit in common,
problems with layout associated with fonts seemingly disappearing and/or
being substituted when producing PDF files.

Some responses have been given already, including a technical one by
Shlomo. I would like to address the underlying issues and provide some
solutions that appear to work in most situations:

(1) A major negative feature of current operating systems is the "feature"
by which the OS treats any "printer resident fonts" as if they were also
available on the host computer. For display purposes, the OS fakes the
display. This "feature" is a holdover from the days before the availability
of Type 1 and TrueType font support on the host computer system.

(2) The result of (1) above is that depending upon which "printer" is
currently chosen, a different selection of fonts would appear to be
available to the application program especially if the available printers
use different technologies and/or have different selections of available
"printer resident fonts."

(3) It also turns out that printer drivers determine how the metrics of
these "printer resident" fonts are reported back to the application which
in fact may differ from how the OS reports back the metrics of the same or
similar fonts resident on a user's host computer system.

(4) As a result, one ends up with faux-fonts for displays, missing font or
embedding errors for distillation, or other weird anomalies associated with
layout and text.

(5) Professionals do not consider (1) above or programs that otherwise fake
fonts that aren't installed as any type of "feature".

(6) The best way to avoid problems is to effectively force the printer
drivers to make believe that no fonts (or maybe at worst, one common font)
is actually resident for all printers.

(7) It turns out that the "fix" for the ITC Zapf Dingbats display problem
under Windows 2000/XP in fact provides the "fix" for (6) above. I first
posted this "fix" last November. I am repeating it below. Apply both the
"WORKAROUND" and "FURTHERMORE" sections.

(8) I believe that if you follow my suggestions, you will not see find that
you need any other operational workarounds such as suggested by Shlomo. I
would be most interested in hearing off-list from any of you if you in fact
any of you find that after applying these fixes, you still need to do
anything funny to avoid reflow problems of any type under Windows 2000 / XP.

         - Dov (on the road, tonight in Quebec, Canada)

ORIGINAL POSTING OF NOVEMBER 15, 2001:

There is a known problem under Windows 2000 and Windows XP (all flavours)
in which characters chosen from the ITC Zapf Dingbats font, one of the
"base 35" PostScript Type 1 fonts, display in the TrueType WingDings font
on the screen, but print OK to PostScript printers and generate correct PDF
files. A similar problem occurs with Carta and any other Type 1 symbol
fonts (other than the actual font "Symbol") that might be resident in the
PostScript printing device (as defined in the printer's PPD file) and also
installed on an end-user's computer system.

(Obviously, if a font is printer-resident but a copy of that font is not
installed at all on an end-user's computer system, characters in that font
will not display correctly!)

This problem affects many but not all, applications. These applications in
which the problem occurs appears to include many applications which use
Windows 2000/XP's font rendering services as opposed to applications which
internally control their own fonts. The applications affected include
FrameMaker, Microsoft Office, and Lotus Smartsuite, amongst others. No
other Adobe applications are affected being that they control and manage
their own font services.

Adobe is aware of the problem. The cause of the problem is a mismatch
between how the OS font rendering system and the PostScript driver "see"
what are ostensibly the same fonts. Unfortunately, a short term driver/OS
fix are not forthcoming.

A VIABLE WORKAROUND

The following is the best known workaround that effectively solves the
problem in a manner that would be compatible with any future fixes issued
by Adobe and/or Microsoft:

(1) Logon as "Administrator" or with a user ID that has administrator
privileges.

(2) Make sure no printing is occurring or spooled to any PostScript printer
and close all regular applications.

(3) Go to directory "C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3". For Windows
XP, it may be the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3" directory.

(4) For each .PPD file in that directory:

         (a) Copy the PPD file to a backup location in case you need to
         subsequently retrieve a pre-modified version.

         (b) Open the PPD with an ASCII text editor, such as "NotePad".

         (c) Find the line in the PPD file that begins "*Font ZapfDingbats:"

         (d) Change the initial "*Font" in that line to "*% Font"

         (e) Save the PPD file and exit the text editor.

(5) Delete all the .BPD files in directory
"C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3" or
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3" as appropriate.

The PostScript driver will then recreate the .BPD files as necessary from
the edited PPD files. Note that with this solution, you do NOT need to
delete and recreate the printer instances. This hackery is only a Windows
2000 and XP solution. The problems mentioned above do not occur with
Windows'9x or Me.

FURTHERMORE

I PERSONALLY recommend that at stage (4)(c-d) above, you change ALL the
lines that begin with "*Font" to "*% Font" with the exception of the one
line that begins with "*Font Courier:",

Why? Because this effectively tells the driver and operating system to
always use the fonts resident on your computer system as opposed to those
which may be ROM or disk-based in your printing device.

And why is that important? Two reasons:

(1) We continually hear about problems in which users compose documents
with fonts that appear in the list of available fonts but surprisingly
enough, fail to be recognized or embedded when creating PDF files. This
problem is caused by the fact that the operating system in conjunction with
the driver allows on-host access for formatting purposes to fonts that are
printer-resident, even if they cannot be really accessed or displayed on
your computer because they are not actually installed on your computer!
When you "switch" to the Acrobat Distiller printer instance, the fonts seem
to "disappear." Well, they weren't really there to start with. This "fix"
eliminates the "phantom phonts" and the problems associated with same.

(2) Over time, changes have occurred in fonts, especially in the size and
content of their character sets. The best example of this is the addition
of the Euro symbol into many Type 1 fonts that can also be "printer
resident." In some cases, such as the Arial and Times New Roman families,
the fonts being shipped with Windows 2000 / XP each have over 1000 more
character definitions (from multiple alphabets and symbols) than the
equivalent printer-resident fonts in PostScript 3 implementations and some
PostScript Level 2 emulations. This fix forces use of the host-based font
when printing and thus virtually eliminates the possibility of missing
characters on output due to font mismatches.

Note that it is critical that you DON'T change the line for Courier. The
driver appears to "die" if it doesn't have at least one printer-resident
font to chew on and Courier is the font that will likely cause you least
grief with any of the two issues above.

- Dov