RE: ANN: DocFrame 1.0 for FrameMaker 7

At 02:24 PM 2/10/03 -0500, Weinstein, Ari wrote:
>Scriptorium doesn't seem to be claiming that DocFrame would be suitable for
>complex technical documents.

The sample of a DocFrame document provided on the Scriptorium website is a
technical document. I (and many others) maintain that it is far better to
have an EDD capable of handling an enterprise's most complex technical
documents, provided it is adaptable and easily used to produce the less
complex ones as well. When all technical documents conform to a single
ECC/DTD, it greatly facilitates information reuse, information management,
information retrieval, single-sourcing, and similar activities

>There are many other applications for
>structured editing. I for one welcome any effort to commoditize the
>technology for structured editing because it makes my life as a database
>publisher easier.

I cannot conceive of using DocFrame for database publishing. I recently
created a structured turnkey Frame 7 application for importing a database
extract in the form of tagged XML information to produce a very large
(500-page), illustrated product catalog  For obvious reasons, the EDD had
to match the structure defined in the XML input.

>$3,125 is a fraction of what it would cost me to hire a
>consultant to build a structured editing environment for 5 users.
That depends on what you get for the $3125, and I strongly suspect you
aren't getting an application that would justify that price.

| Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
Voice/Fax: 949-722-8971 E-Mail: danemory@globalcrossing.net
177 Riverside Ave., STE F, #1151, Newport Beach, CA 92663