RE: eps problems

Karl,

Yes. FrameMaker officially supports import of PDF files. In the case
of FrameMaker 6, it supports PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4.0x and earlier). In
the case of FrameMaker 7, it supports PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5.0.x and earlier).
Internally what happens is that the PDF file is converted into EPS and
placed into the FrameMaker document. A key setting, which PostScript
language level the PDF is converted into, is stored in the maker.ini
file under Windows (and who knows where on the Mac ... I think in a
resource somewhere; let's not go there). And of course, this PostScript
language level is defaulted to "2" which is quite wrong if you are
subsequently creating PDF or printing to a PostScript 3 device.
Gradients and some other graphics elements get munged unless you fix
the setting and restart FrameMaker.

I personally believe that there is just too much uncertainty with
this process and too much that can go wrong. I believe that the
better solution is to export/save EPS from Acrobat (fonts embedded
and TIFF preview) and THEN import the EPS via reference into
FrameMaker.

On the other hand, if you are also an InDesign user, I will tell you
that unconditionally, if given a choice and assuming you already have
a PDF file, you should import PDF over EPS when at all possible!
No funky conversions are done to possibly ruin your day (or your
document).

        - Dov