Re: real dumb frame/xml question

To import XML or SGML, you need FrameMaker+SGML, not plain old
FrameMaker.  Is that the problem, that you're trying to import XML into
plain FrameMaker?  Also, FrameMaker+SGML doesn't support import of true
and native XML - you have to massage it a little, and if it includes
UNICODE you're in trouble.

The reason you need Maker+SGML to import SGML/XML is that "filtering"
this markup (markup is the M of XML - Extensible MARKUP Language) is a
process of parsing it to make decisions based on the structure the
markup represents.  The idea is that the structure of a document is
interesting - indeed, you can do lots of processing based on the
structure of a document.  This is much more than pagination.  You can
use XML as a single source, choose what to display, what to ignore,
whether to re-order the information for different situations, whether to
pull a query from a database, etc.  But geting all that processing value
means that you have to focus on the content and structure, and handle
the formatting at the last minute.  Further, you have to build a map
from the structure to the formatting.  Maker+SGML has this mapping
capability, plus it represents the structure of the document so you can
still get some processing advantage while you're editing.  For example,
Maker+SGML can suggest the correct "element" to add to a document at a
specific location.  And it can automatically apply different formatting
depending on where you insert/move an element.

XML was never designed to map directly to formatting.  It requires a CSS
or XSL stylesheet to do that.  Or with FrameMaker+SGML, the format map
is called an EDD - Element Definition Document.  Some consider this a
feature, and I guess others consider it a bug.

I can say that SGML is definitely ready for prime time, and is used
extensively.  But there is certainly a cost/benefit threshold.  XML/SGML
are not ready for you to use for memos and small one-time projects.
 It's definitely ready for drafting legislation, and for aerospace,
auto, pharmaceutical, electronics, and other industries.  And there's a
grey area inbetween that's seeing the threshold drop lower each year.

But you definitely need a system that maps structure to formatting -
whether it's as simple(?) as NetScape 6, or as rich as FrameMaker+SGML,
or beyond.