RE: FrameMaker not deleting empty pages on save [SUMMARY]

Dick:

> >      The "Make Page Count Even" command does ONLY that.  It does
> >      not check to see if any pages are empty and does not delete them.
> >      [I think this is incorrect.  It always has in past with this
> >      particular template when the pages had no content on them.]
>
> Well, maybe that's not how it's -supposed- to work, but that's what it
does
> on my system (FM6/WinNT4).  I tried it on 3 files.  Same thing every
time.

I just created a scratch file and filled it with hash text to make 5 pages
(= odd number).

I then selected all the text except the first and last paragraphs, applied
the Comment condition and hid it.

The file then contained one page containing content and 4 empty pages.
With Delete Empty Pages set, saving the file reduced it to 1 page (as
expected).

Revealing the Comment condition expanded the file to 5 pages.  With Make
Page Count Even, saving the file expanded it to 6 pages (as expected).

Hiding Comment and saving with Make Page Count Even reduced the file to 2
pages (as expected).

The above scenario is basically what my colleague is doing to expand and
contract HIS files, except that he has about 22 conditions, so when he sets
Show All, the files typically expand by about 600 percent.

> I have a feeling that you are right in how it's supposed to work because
> would think that Adobe would have included a "delete empty pages and make
> page count even" choice in the dialog box if that were needed. Based on
> your message, I suspect that it works as designed on unix but not on
> windows.

Dunno about YEWKNICKS.  Both of us have FM 6.0, and I'm using Windows 2000
but he is using Windows NT 4.0.

> What does it do on your Mac?

Dunno.  I've only got 5.5.6 on my Mac at home, and it works as it is
supposed to.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

Copyright (C) MYOB Limited 2002