Re: FrameMaker not deleting empty pages on save [SUMMARY]

All:

Do you remember ...

> This is a really baffling one.  My colleague has a book with about 24
> chapters and appendices in toto.  This book contains a large number of
> conditions so we can produce custom user guides for various products and
> markets.  We show all the conditions when maintaining the content, then
> show only the selected conditions for the current deliverable.  Each
> component file has a large number of blank Left and Right pages at the
end
> after only the selected conditions are exposed.
>
> The Before Saving & Printing drop-list is set to Make Page Count Even in
> the Pagination dialogue.  But when we save or print, FrameMaker does not
> delete the unwanted blank pages.  Neither does it delete them when we
> update the book file.  In fact it is behaving as though the last page of
> each component has had a custom master page applied to it.  Applying the
> appropriate Left or Rignt master to these last pages has no effect.
>
> Has anybody else experienced this problem?  What was the solution?  My
> colleague is not looking forward to deleting the blank pages manually
every
> time he wants to regenerate the index and contents.

Thanks to Rhea Tolman, Kevin McGuire, Dick Gaskill, Rajeshwari Godbole,
Bill Swallow, and Debbi Fortney for the following suggested solutions.  We
are still working through the possibilities and have not yet solved the
problem.  When we do, you will be the first to know.

@    One of the now-empty pages had a special master
     page applied [this was not the case].

@    Empty pages contained any flow other than the ones on the
     "normal" right-left master pages.

@    Disconnected text frame or graphic frame left
     on any of the "empty" pages.

@    I just saved, closed and reopened the document and it
     healed (FM6 on Solaris) [didn't work for us on Windows NT].

@    The "Make Page Count Even" command does ONLY that.  It does
     not check to see if any pages are empty and does not delete them.
     [I think this is incorrect.  It always has in past with this
     particular template when the pages had no content on them.]

@    FrameMaker will not delete pages with headers and footers
     (even though the body page is completely empty) [this is incorrect
     in general and although this template has headers, etc. it
     has worked correctly in the past].

@    Pagination settings are different in the book and the components.
     The book takes precedence over the file settings.

@    Set the file to Delete Empty Pages and set the file that follows
     to start on a right page.  FrameMaker will add a page at the end
     of first file, thereby making the page count even. The page that
     is added will use the Left master page [if we get desperate enough
     we will try this].

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31u33, WebWorks Publisher 7.0, IXgen 5.5.h, HTML
Help Workshop 4.74 build 8702.0, HTML Help 1.31]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Best Practice Mentor
MYOB Australia Pty Ltd  <http://www.myob.com.au>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
12 Wesley Court   Tally Ho Business Park   East Burwood 3151   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9222 9992 x 7421  Fax. +61 3 9222 9880  Mob. +61 412 461 558
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>

Copyright (C) MYOB Limited 2002