Re: ANN: Need database for publishing

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:35:24 -0800, Dan Emory is alleged to have typed:

> >One of the underappreciated features of FrameScript is the ability of a
> >script to query a database directly through the ODBC control panel in
> >Windows. The returned records can then be imported into FrameMaker and
> >formatted by the script.
>
> But UniMerge (price about $600) does the same thing much better, and can
> also issue ODBC queries. UniMerge uses a FrameMaker template that
>includes

<SNIP>

> That's not to say that a Framescript might be useful in a limited
>number of
> applications, but almost certainly it would fall short of what's
>needed in
> most database publishing applications.

Hi Dan,

I agree that for more serious and regular data lifting, Unimerge does
sound like a better solution. That said, I think there's room for a
less-expensive solution for those oddball or one-shot projects that
can roll down the pike.

Most of Rick's creations have been in a price range that I have
personally ponied up for them out of my own pocket, because the time
and psychic costs I would be saving was worth it to me. And that
includes the time I would be spending trying to convince key
individuals and generate paperwork for the food chain to allocate
some budget dollars toward such a purchase. Sometimes it less painful
to add to your own tool box, and move on to other tasks.

I'm all for having that freedom of choice. And for hearing your
opinions, too. That's why I'm still subscribed over here.

Now I do wish Rick would turn his Framescripting eye toward a
less-painful solution for moving information from Powerpoint(less)
presentations into Frame docs (hint, hint). :-)

--

Greg Hanek    ghanek@indiana.edu
.disclaimer     .pithy_quote